An Aerial Lineman must have knowledge of established aerial cable installation procedures and techniques. This position will construct strand infrastructure and secure fiber optic cable. This is a safety sensitive position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely drive, operate, and maintain bucket truck.
- Maintain tool, material, and required safety gear inventory.
- Plan and initiate projects.
- Maintain thorough compliance with all federal, state, and local safety requirements
- Maintain and repair overhead fiber optic facilities.
- Install new hardware, strand, fiber optic cable, and Multi Service Terminals on existing utility poles.
- Install and maintain anchors, down guys, overhead guys, etc.
- Provide technical skills necessary for precise and timely operation and maintenance of FTTP deployments with an emphasis on quality.
- Keep abreast of all changes affecting any records, reports, and related information affecting this position.
- Set a good example by always following and teaching safe practices
- Present a positive and professional image for CEC, serving as the initial public face of the company.
- Must be a team player and problem solver who can facilitate teamwork between different aspects of construction, while maintaining high morale and meeting production goals.
- Constructing strand infrastructure and securing fiber optic cable.
Other Education, Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure efficient and effective processes, completion of projects and smooth operation of department.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- At least one year of experience.
- Proficient with all phases of line construction.
- Compliant with proper safety standards, procedures, and work practices.
- A valid Drivers License.
- OSHA 10
- CDL Class A drivers license is desired but not required
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Understanding of basic and/or advanced Fiber Installation principles
- Assumes full responsibility for completed work, perform routine line work without close supervision, completing work with quality and timeliness
- Ability to read and interpret construction prints, plans and specifications
- Ability to operate efficiently a bucket truck, and other equipment required to complete routine aerial construction
- Must have adequate time management skills
- Pass DOT medical physical
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be physically fit to endure the daily activity involved with the job. May work inside or outside. Possible exposure to hot and cold temperatures, works in all-weather elements such as rain, heat, cold and snow. This position may require work at extreme heights, in areas that are under construction, or in restricted areas such as a switchgear room, manhole, utility tunnel, crawl space, or attic, in confined spaces, and on slippery or uneven surfaces; works on ladders, scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks, in ditches and excavations; works in and around single and multi-story buildings with all exposures typical of a heavy construction site, roadside construction, including portable sanitary facilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, crawl, climb, kneel, balance, push, pull and reach overhead.
- Sit for long periods of time while driving.
- Lift or move up to 50 pounds. Constantly move about on the feet.
- Climb ladders of all types.
- Complete full day assignments involving overhead work.
- Must be able to make transition from employee parking area or street into construction work areas and to access all levels of the building, even if the only means of access is by O.S.H.A. approved site construction ladder or stairs still under construction, but acceptable for use.
- Must be capable of securing tools and materials from storage areas to complete assigned tasks.
- Possess good vision, normal or corrected.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Possess good hearing, normal or corrected.
- Must be able to positively identify different colors of wiring, conduits, and fiber optics.
- Wear personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, safety vest) at all times.
- Must be able to work 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week, and overtime as required or as needed. This position requires flexible work hours. In order to get a project completed on time, this position may be required to work overtime, weekends.
- Must be able to work in the presence of customers and their representatives with little or no interference or disruption to the customer while maintaining a professional and courteous image.
- Ability to climb poles and work at heights up to and exceeding 30 feet
CEC Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in our workforce. It is our policy to attract and retain the best-qualified people available, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, status as a military veteran, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.