Holland & Hart LLP is seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Billings office. This role provides advanced legal secretarial and administrative support services to attorneys, paralegals, secretaries and other colleagues as needed and requested.
- Prepare, revise and format legal documents and correspondence using various software applications and according to instructions; proofread documents/correspondence for content, spelling, grammar, language usage and punctuation and put into final form.
- Transcribe digital audio files to create written transcripts of recorded information.
- Prepare documents and applicable fees for electronic filing as needed and according to instructions. E-file documents with federal and state courts and other agencies.
- Manage incoming and outgoing telephone calls, mail (regular, certified, UPS, FedEx, etc.), hand deliveries and emails.
- Maintain and manage attorney/paralegal calendars – docket court deadlines, conferences, teleconferences, depositions, other meetings as requested.
- Effectively schedule and manage travel arrangements and meetings/depositions, arranging for conference rooms and related logistics.
- Manage the business intake process – run adversary searches, draft screening memos and engagement letters and open new files.
- Manage all other legal and/or administrative tasks as requested, including, but not limited to, preparation of audit letter responses, billable time input, expense reports, check requests and client billing statements.
- Assist attorneys, paralegals, secretaries and other colleagues with other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications (Education, Experience and Certification):
- High school education with 4+ years legal secretarial experience or two years legal secretarial training plus at least 2 years legal secretarial experience.
- Advanced legal secretarial skills, including accurate typing; working knowledge of personal computers; strong knowledge and skills in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat; excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation and proofreading skills; and advanced knowledge of legal terminology.
- Strong knowledge of iManage, LegalKey, InTapp, Chrome River and Expert Time, CompuLaw, or similar software.
- Strong knowledge of federal, state and local court rules.
- Advanced knowledge in one or more specialty areas preferred (i.e., litigation, corporate, tax, patent, etc.).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with a wide variety of people inside and outside the firm.
- Excellent organizational skills to handle the work of several attorneys/paralegals.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills to handle a variety of responsibilities under general supervision.
- Organizing and Planning – Strong organizing and planning skills that allow an individual to be highly productive and efficient.
- Team Player – Team oriented; maintains composure and is adaptable to the changing needs of the team.
- Functional/Technical Expertise – Understands necessary information, processes and procedures to carry out job responsibilities.
- High Standards – Exceptional quality and necessary attention to detail.
- Initiative – Proactive and takes action without being prompted or instructed.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Identifies problems, finds solutions, acts decisively and shows good judgment.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee must have the ability to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; manipulate (lift, carry, move) weights of at least ten (10) pounds; have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement to work on a computer and/or related office equipment; speak clearly and concisely so listeners can understand; and regularly understand the speech of another person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by this position to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Professional office atmosphere. Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting or standing for prolonged periods. Position may require occasional off-hour meetings and events.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those this position may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Holland & Hart works hard to promote work/life balance with a 37.5-hour scheduled work week for most staff employees, a robust wellness program, and generous PTO and holiday pay for eligible employees. Full-time employees become eligible for benefits on the date hire, with a benefits offering that includes medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, EAP, STD, and LTD. Also available are voluntary income protection benefits such as supplemental life, accident, critical illness, and long-term care insurances, as well as a 401(k)-retirement plan with a company match. In addition, the firm has programs that may provide for educational assistance, free or discounted legal services, and opportunities through the Holland & Hart Foundation, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating volunteer opportunities for lawyers, staff, families, and friends of Holland & Hart LLP. Part-time employees may have access to some of these benefits, which may be on a pro-rated basis.