NBAPOSN Title HVAC Specialist
Working Title HVAC Technician
Brief Position Overview Perform new construction, remodel, maintenance of HVAC systems of campus properties and buildings. This includes but is not limited to Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration, soldering, welding, troubleshooting, testing, purchasing, installing, and repairing . Maintenance of Hot Water Boiler Systems and Steam Boiler Systems. Welding and Fabrication.
Position Number 6N8037
Department Facilities Services
Division Administrative Services & Finance
Appointment Type Classified
Contract Term Fiscal Year
If other, specify From date
If other, specify End date
Union Affiliation Plumbers
Benefits Eligible Yes
Salary $29.41 per hour, commensurate with education and experience and subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
Contract Type Classified Hourly
If other, please specify
Recruitment Type Open
General Statement Montana State University Billings is a preferred employer in the region-WE WANT YOU!
The following are reasons why you should join our team:
- Work-life balanceHolidays-10 paid holidays per year and General Election Day
- Vacation- 15 days per year (New Employees to 10 years; after 10 years the accrual rate increases)Sick Leave – Earned at an accrual rate of .0416125 for each hour in pay status.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waiver
- Opportunities to engage in professional development opportunities
- Committed to employee wellness and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Benefits that are robust and affordable
Visit MUS Benefits to learn more about our benefit package including Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability are incorporated into our benefits.
- Learn more about our retirement benefits at MUS Retirement.
- Opportunities for career growth and a variety of career paths
- Campus vibrancy- coffee shops, FREE attendance to MSUB concerts, athletic events, and lectures, access to recreation center, library, etc.
- Beautiful campus environment that features our MSUB Mile walking path
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the general maintenance and operation of campus heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment including: air handlers, chillers, chilled water systems, boilers, furnaces cooling towers, motors, refrigeration and pneumatic piping, compressed air for the pneumatic controls, ice machines, water fountains, evaporative cooling systems, humidification, electronic/electric/pneumatic control systems including computer based energy management system.
- Install, maintain, inspect and repair heating ventilation, A/C and conditioning equipment, distribution systems and controls.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, repair and assembly of electrical and electronic circuits, controls, instruments and connect to low voltage power source.
- Trouble shoot, maintain and assemble pneumatic control circuits; replace/adjust/test system components such as valves, pumps, compressor motors, controls, coils & fans. Welding, brazing, soldering and installing components to construct/repair refrigeration circuits; troubleshoot, maintain, test, recovered claim, and charge refrigerant system.
- Perform general plumbing services including new construction, remodels, maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Operate and maintain Hot Water Boilers and Steam Boilers
- Welding and Fabrication Duties
- Respond to and take appropriate action to resolve all emergency calls during work hours, after hours, weekends and holidays.
- Estimate materials and time needed to complete job.
Required Qualifications –
Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- High School Graduate or GED
- Knowledge and experience to qualify as a Commercial HVAC Technician with 5 years documented experience.
- Experience with welding and brazing, and fabrication.
- Ability to communicate effectively with personnel, clients, supervisors, etc,
- Must possess a valid and insurable State of Montana driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
Preferred Qualifications –
Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Journeyman HVAC Technician in the State of Montana. Wage to be commensurate with level of license.
- Low Pressure Boilers License.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of standard construction practices,
methods, materials, tools and equipment
- Extensive experience using hand and power tools common to the plumbing trade. (Please list equipment used.)
- Demonstrated competence working from blueprints, plans, sketches, and specifications.
- Demonstrated competence following written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Experience in maintenance at a facility similar to MSU-Billings.
- Experience with building automation systems
- Refrigeration certification
The Successful Candidate Will
- Minimum of five years documented experience as a Commercial HVAC Technician.
- Working knowledge of standard HVAC practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment, safety precautions;
- Skilled in the use of related hand and power tools;
- Ability to work from blueprints, plans, sketches and specifications;
- Ability to communicate effectively with personnel, clients, supervisors, etc;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with co-workers.
- Considerable knowledge of: Maintenance, repair techniques and practices; tools and test equipment; chillers, boilers, refrigeration/heat transfer systems; electronic/electric/pneumatic controls and circuits; safety procedures; piping installation and fabrication, ductwork installation and fabrication; plans and specifications. Work knowledge of manual and computerized record keeping systems, energy conservation practices, and cost calculation
Physical Demands Requires tenuous physical labor; some heavy lifting, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in some inclement weather. Position will require working from ladders, scaffolding and heights. Job hazards will be working with power equipment. Safety consciousness is required to minimize job hazards .
This position has supervisory No
Posting Detail Information
Announcement Number S00794P
Number of Vacancies 1.0
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Close Date 06/30/2023
Open until filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Diversity Statement Montana State University Billings is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University Billings makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana
Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU Billings provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office,
Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298, 406-657-2278
MSU Billings Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Billings Website: http://www.msubillings.edu/humres/eeos.htm
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $29.41 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: One location