Full Job Description
Contract TermFiscal Year
Salary$13.50 per hour
Contract TypeClassified Hourly
Brief Position Overview
The Custodian provides cleaning maintenance service for interiors of all MSU Billings. Primary emphasis is on carpeted and hard-surfaced floor maintenance, trash removal, restroom cleaning, and restocking of supplies, locking and/or unlocking buildings, and other related duties.
Montana State University Billings is a preferred employer in the region-WE WANT YOU!
- The following are reasons why you should join our team:
- Work-life balanceHolidays-10 paid holidays per year and General Election Day
Vacation- 15 days per year (New Employees to 10 years; after 10 years the accrual rate increases)
- Sick Leave – Earned at an accrual rate of .0416125 for each hour in pay status.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waiver
- Opportunities to engage in professional development opportunities
- Committed to employee wellness and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Benefits that are robust and affordable
- Visit MUS Benefitsto learn more about our benefit package including Medical, Vision, and DentalLife Insurance and Long Term Disability are incorporated into our benefits.
- Learn more about our retirement benefits at MUS Retirement.
- Opportunities for career growth and a variety of career paths
- Campus vibrancy- coffee shops, FREE attendance to MSUB concerts, athletic events, and lectures, access to recreation center, library, etc.
- Beautiful campus environment that features our MSUB Mile walking path
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Scrubbing, mopping, stripping, waxing, disinfecting, and polishing hard surface floors· Vacuuming, spotting, and extracting carpeted floors
- Dusting and polishing furniture and horizontal surfaces
- Washing interior windows, entrance glass, and mirrors
- Clean, disinfect, and polishing restroom and shower fixtures
- Restock restroom supplies· Cleaning blackboards, whiteboards, smart boards, and erasers
- Empty and clean trash receptacles
- Replacing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- Moving chairs, tables, and floor machinery· Handling commercial (industrial) cleaning chemicals
- Moving supplies up and down stairs
- Cleaning Kitchenettes
- Cleaning Student Family Housing units
The Custodian must follow safe work practices and participate in safety and custodial training as appropriate. Duties also include removal of snow and debris from entrances and stairways, preparations for and cleaning up after special events; maintaining good communication channels with supervisors and co-workers and performing related duties as required.
Cleaning of surfaces, disinfecting of surfaces, trash removal, etc.
- Using proper procedures as listed in the Custodial Operations Manual provided to every MSUB custodian. Custodians will clean the areas assigned to them or work in other areas as directed by a supervisor.
- Continuous contact with university students, staff, and faculty throughout the work day
Work involves use of personal computer
- Communicate to supervisor needs and requests
- Submittal of timesheets and maintenance requests.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills-
- High School/ GED Graduate
- Must be able to perform manual labor
- Ability to be dependable, follow directions, work with minimal supervision, and work varying shifts
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills-
- One year of commercial custodial experience is preferred.
The Successful Candidate Will Have-
- Knowledge of cleaning practices
- Thorough understanding of commercial cleaning techniques, chemical applications, hazardous material and biohazard protocols and precautions, OSHA safety standards, operation of cleaning machines and tools, supply and equipment procurement procedures.
- Willingness to work overtime for sports or other special events.
- Ability to perform work while still maintaining positive and professional relationships with coworkers and customers
- Good clear communication with supervisor
- Basic computer skills
- Physical Demands- The position involves physical demands associated with lifting objects up to 50 lbs with or without help, bending, climbing stairs, operating commercial cleaning equipment, and climbing ladders. This position involves hazards associated with exposure to hazardous materials (cleaning chemicals, blood borne pathogens), unpleasant sights and odors and involves exposure to unfavorable weather conditions.
- This position has supervisory duties? No
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies1.0
Open until filledYes
SummaryQuick Link for Internal Postings https://employment.msubillings.edu/postings/5783
Montana State University Billings is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University Billings makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU Billings provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298, 406-657-2278
MSU Billings Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Billings Website: http://www.msubillings.edu/humres/eeos.htm
Resume (or CV)
Letter of Reference 3
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $13.50 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Opportunities for advancement
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday