Youth Program Coordinator
• Under the direction of the Youth Development Director, develop, design and administer YMCA of the USA afterschool upgrade initiatives. Supervises the children, staff and all activities conducted in these areas to create a fun, enriching, educational and safe environment for all children.
• Hire, train and supervise all staff necessary for afterschool operations. Design and conduct all necessary initial department trainings including meeting with staff daily for additional training needs and support. Promotes teamwork and cooperative effort with all staff.
• Track staff training requirements, ensuring all Afterschool staff are current with certifications and training updates.
• Ability to lead by example, conducting group activities and modeling preferred staff behavior and program standards.
• Responsible for managing Snack program ensuring adequate supplies and distribution to offsite locations along with completion of any necessary documentation.
• Responsible for maintaining communication with offsite schools to ensure the proper building usage.
• Addresses member concerns first ensuring positive relationships and follows up with Director accordingly.
• Available to meet with parents daily, ensuring positive relationships while following up with Director accordingly.
• Maintains a clean, safe work area, practices good safety habits following State Health Codes and YMCA policies.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of program registration software system managing daily roster needs and program records as required.
• Flexibility to work varying hours throughout the day and week including weekends as the need arises.
• Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards, ability to attend
and participate in program activities that are outside of assigned shift, Family Fun Nights, trainings etc.
• Represent the YMCA at community events as required.
• Utilizes Seer Survey’s to determine department goals, and work with staff to implement.
• Maintains required program records.
• Completes Seer Survey Goals specific to department.
CORE COMPETENCIES (ALL STAFF):
• Always have a friendly, helpful attitude and wear a smile.
• Take initiative to greet and assist all members, potential members, program participants and volunteers in a courteous, professional and friendly manner. Be enthusiastic towards members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities.
• Work daily to develop personal and meaningful relationships with members, volunteers, donors and others. Strive to understand individual’s goals and interests to enrich their YMCA experience by introducing them to new programs, staff, members and volunteer activities.
• Actively listen, reflect and respond to member questions and concerns in a caring manner. When the opportunity presents itself, go above and beyond to resolve the situation immediately.
• Embrace new approaches and discover ideas to create a better member experience.
• A willingness to commit to the mission of the YMCA. Demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
• Is familiar with and able to articulate the mission statement, areas of focus and core values of the YMCA with people of all ages and backgrounds. Models the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility while working and communicating with members, program participants, volunteers and other staff members.
• Be knowledgeable and supportive of the YMCA annual support campaign.
• Be informed about volunteer opportunities.
• Speak enthusiastically on behalf of the YMCA publicly and at given opportunities.
• Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff members in all departments.
• Seeks every opportunity to encourage, motivate and thank fellow staff members for their work. Completes S.T.A.R. slips to thank and recognize a job well done by others.
• Be knowledgeable about YMCA programs. This includes being familiar with all current program guide information, upcoming events and other special activities.
• Keeps up to date on all internal communication.
• Be dressed in appropriate attire and wear nametag at all times. Consistently perform duties in a safe and conscientious manner.
• Follow and enforce all YMCA procedures and policies, including those related to: personnel guidelines, medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention, safety guidelines, facility access procedures, membership policies and emergencies. Complete Incident Report Forms as required.
• Be knowledgeable of all current Emergency Action Plans and carry out plans as necessary.
• Maintain a clean and safe YMCA. Take initiative to clean up/repair areas. Complete Maintenance Request forms as needed. Report safety issues to the appropriate supervisor.
• Attend and remain current on all mandatory trainings and staff meetings.
• Must have a clean driving record and be able to drive YMCA vehicles.
• A year or more experience working with and leading organized activities with children of all ages.
• At least one year of experience supervising staff preferred.
• At least 21 years of age. High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
• CPR, First Aid, AED, Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Bourne Pathogen, Hazard Communication, Concussion and Defensive Driving training certifications required before hire.
• Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred, preschool classroom, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, and working with large groups.
• Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
• Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
1. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, kneeling, leaning, reaching and lifting.
2. Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
3. Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment with the unique challenges of a non-profit community service organization.
4. Ability to work irregular work hours, including nights and weekends, fulfilling CDL rotation requirements.
5. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
6. Ability to interact with a diversity of people and various levels of personnel using sound judgment on ambiguous issues.
7. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
This job description may not be all inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.