Youth Development Director
Oversees the development and operations of all School Age Child Care to include all Preschool, Afterschool, Traditional and Specialty Camp programming as well as Child Watch. Ability to teach and substitute for Preschool classes and activities. Supervises trains and supports assigned staff, develops, plans and implements new procedures, systems and methods to promote member satisfaction and member retention through program participation. Leads these staff teams to provide excellent service to members and the community in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes community wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Develops and implements a comprehensive strategic plan to advance the Y’s key area of focus in Youth Development. Establishes long range plans for the expansion of programs and services in conjunction with overall YMCA objectives.
2. Establish leadership role within the YMCA movement with regard to Early Learning Programs. Position the Billings Family YMCA to be at the forefront of national developments and serve as a pilot YMCA for any early learning and/or summer learning loss national initiatives.
3. Establish a leadership role within the YMCA of the USA’s HEPA (Healthy Eating and Physical Activity) national initiatives. Establish the Billings Family YMCA as a leader and mentor to other YMCA’s promoting the Healthy Living area of focus.
4. Hire, train, supervise and conduct ongoing assessment of all school age child care, child watch, Preschool, traditional and specialty camp staff functions, evaluate core competencies and skills, design and implement trainings as needed. Establish, role model and maintain the highest level of quality customer service throughout the department.
5. Implement and direct promotional, member engagement and retention strategies for new and existing members. Identify and resolve problem areas to ensure member satisfaction.
6. Oversee internal marketing and communication efforts to maximize enrollments and program participation. Maintain high membership conversion ratios through improved program participation.
7. Develop the annual department budget to support YMCA financial objectives, manage and implement the approved budget and take appropriate action to correct variances.
8. Ensure that vehicles are monitored and maintained; develop and implement strategies to ensure that the highest possible safety standards are incorporated into all YMCA programming.
9. Analyze and produce statistical and financial data and use standard business mathematics to produce necessary department and board reports, determine pricing, and manage other necessary departmental systems.
10. Represent and promote the YMCA in the community as needed and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, business and governmental entities to produce an increasing child care presence in the community.
11. Responsible for collaborating with department directors to promote participation and education regarding the benefits of YMCA programming offered.
12. Adheres to personal and department SEER goals.
13. Recruit and retain necessary volunteers to support department requirements.
14. Serves in a lead capacity for assigned community events and functions.
CORE COMPETENCIES (ALL STAFF):
• Always have a friendly, helpful attitude and wear a smile.
• Take initiative to greet and assist all members, potential members, program participants and volunteers in a courteous, professional and friendly manner. Be enthusiastic towards members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities.
• Work daily to develop personal and meaningful relationships with members, volunteers, donors and others. Strive to understand individual’s goals and interests to enrich their YMCA experience by introducing them to new programs, staff, members and volunteer activities.
• Actively listen, reflect and respond to member questions and concerns in a caring manner. When the opportunity presents itself, go above and beyond to resolve the situation immediately.
• Embrace new approaches and discover ideas to create a better member experience.
• A willingness to commit to the mission of the YMCA. Demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
• Is familiar with and able to articulate the mission statement, areas of focus and core values of the YMCA with people of all ages and backgrounds. Models the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility while working and communicating with members, program participants, volunteers and other staff members.
• Be knowledgeable and supportive of the YMCA annual support campaign.
• Be informed about volunteer opportunities.
• Speak enthusiastically on behalf of the YMCA publicly and at given opportunities.
• Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff members in all departments.
• Seeks every opportunity to encourage, motivate and thank fellow staff members for their work. Completes S.T.A.R. slips to thank and recognize a job well done by others.
• Be knowledgeable about YMCA programs. This includes being familiar with all current program guide information, upcoming events and other special activities.
• Keeps up to date all internal communication.
• Be dressed in appropriate attire and wear nametag at all times. Consistently perform duties in a safe and conscientious manner.
• Follow and enforce all YMCA procedures and policies, including those related to: personnel guidelines, medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention, safety guidelines, facility access procedures, membership policies and emergencies. Complete Incident Report Forms as required.
• Be knowledgeable of all current Emergency Action Plans and carry out plans as necessary.
• Maintain a clean and safe YMCA. Take initiative to clean up/repair areas. Complete Maintenance Request forms as needed. Report safety issues to the appropriate supervisor.
• Attend and remain current on all mandatory trainings and staff meetings.
1. A bachelor's degree in Education, Business or experience equivalent.
2. Two to three years management experience in a YMCA or related non-profit organization.
3. Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills.
4. Ability to analyze statistical and financial data and use standard business mathematics to determine pricing, margins, marketing strategies, etc.
5. Ability to effectively use a computer and various software packages for word processing, research, budgeting, and all membership related data requirements.
6. Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, and YMCA Child Abuse Prevention. Within one year of hire, YMCA Principles of Child Care, School Age Child Care Director, and Building Healthy Programs for Kids(HEPA Standards).
7. Completion of additional YMCA program-specific and /or management trainings and certifications as outlined by supervisor.
1. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, kneeling, leaning, reaching, and lifting.
2. Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment with the unique challenges of a non-profit community service organization.
3. Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours, including MOD rotations.
4. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and physical ability to act swiftly in emergency situations.
5. Ability to stand or sit maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
6. Ability to interact with a diversity of people and various levels of personnel using sound judgment on ambiguous issues.
7. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
This job description may not be all inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.