CARE Academy Program Aide
ROLE: Help implement the CARE Academy Before and After School Program at assigned program sites in Billings and Laurel; provide a safe place for children during non-school time hours where they can enjoy enriching activities.
ABOUT CARE ACADEMY: CARE Academy was originally an elementary OST program operated by Billings Public Schools. United Way of Yellowstone County (UWYC) assumed responsibility of CARE Academy in the fall of 2009, and operates at five locations, serving between 225-250 students daily. CARE Academy offers Whole Day programs on most school holidays and PIR Days. CARE Academy also offers a summer program that serves between 70-80 students each summer. Laurel Public Schools launches Fall 2021 at West.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work cooperatively and in conjunction with Program Director, Site Coordinator, Principals, teachers, parents and students.
- Assist in implementing the activities offered to students.
- Assist in tutoring CARE Academy students during homework help time.
- Assist with distributing daily snacks to students.
- Attend staff training opportunities provided for CARE Academy staff and volunteers.
- Maintain standards of students behavior needed to achieve a safe and positive climate in the before and after school program for students and staff.
- Communicate clearly and regularly with the Directors regarding all aspects of the program.
- Greet and assist all students, parents, staff, and visitors.
- Assist in special CARE Academy activities that may include all program sites.
- Support and abide by agency policies, procedures and philosophies.
- Maintain standards of safe working conditions.
- Serve as a United Way of Yellowstone County ambassador at all times by communicating the mission and vision of United Way.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Site Coordinator and/or Program Director.
High School graduate; experience in childcare, working with youth at elementary level preferred. Must be professional, organized, and courteous. Must submit to and pass a criminal background check.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional documents. Ability to write and create documents in a manner that is understandable and organized. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Ability to use effective interpersonal communication skills when interacting with staff, parents, school personnel, community partners, and others.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
- Human Resource Skills: Ability to assist with conflict management and uphold UWYC values and ethics. Ability to engage in strategic thinking and planning.
- Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Standing 50% or more
- Ability to travel to CARE Academy school locations
- Ability to handle light lifting, such as groceries for snacks, books, games and other materials
- Walk up and down stairs to reach rooms/space assigned to CARE Academy
- Ability to see, hear, and respond to staff and students in the program
Cleaning precautions will take place throughout hours of operation and at the conclusion of daily business. Mask and/or temperature checks may be implemented according to CDC guidelines and respective school district mandates.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Mission: To improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of the community.
Vision: United Way of Yellowstone County is the primary community-building organization in South Central Montana. We provide leadership to effectively mobilize people, financial and strategic resources to improve people's lives. We identify and address the community's priority needs and provide solutions that achieve measurable results and sustained community change.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
Diversity is a core value at UWYC. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are vital to achieving our mission, living our values, and advancing the common good. UWYC is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion within its own organization and the community. The officers, directors, committee members, employees and persons served by UWYC shall be selected in a manner to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and entirely on a non-discriminatory basis with respect to race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation, veteran-status, familial status, or socio-economic status.
The United Way of Yellowstone County is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to a policy that no qualified person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, marital status, or disability in any program or activity for which it is responsible.
- Hiring Salary Range: $10.00 per hour, DOE
- Paid time off (two personal days) after 6-month probation period.
- 403(b) Retirement plan (Once eligible and the service requirements are met, UWYC contributes 5% to the 403(b) Thrift Plan on behalf of the employee, and will match the employee's contribution up to an additional 5%.)
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and three references via email to:
CAREmanager@uwyellowstone.org, using CARE Academy Program Aide in the subject line.