Assistant Professor of English
NBAPOSN Title: Assistant Professor
Working Title: Assistant Professor of English
Faculty Tenure Track: Yes
Faculty Rank: Assistant Professor
Position Number: 6A0913
Department: English Philosophy & Modern Languages
Division: College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
Appointment Type: Faculty
Contract Term: Academic Year
Union Affiliation: Billings Faculty Association
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience and subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
Contract Type: MUS
Recruitment Type: Open
Montana State University Billings is a preferred employer in the region-WE WANT YOU!
The following are reasons why you should join our team:
- Work-life balance
- Holidays-10 paid holidays per year and General Election Day
- Vacation- 15 days per year (New Employees to 10 years; after 10 years the accrual rate increases.
- Sick Leave – Earned at an accrual rate of .0416125 for each hour in pay status.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waiver
- Opportunities to engage in professional development opportunities
- Committed to employee wellness and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Benefits that are robust and affordable
Visit MUS Benefits to learn more about our benefit package including Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability are incorporated into our benefits.
- Learn more about our retirement benefits at MUS Retirement.
- Opportunities for career growth and a variety of career paths
- Campus vibrancy- coffee shops, FREE attendance to MSUB concerts, athletic events, and lectures, access to recreation center, library, etc.
- Beautiful campus environment that features our MSUB Mile walking path
REVIEW DATE: Applications received by January 16, 2023, will be given preference review; however, the position is open until filled.
Duties and Responsibilities
This tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of English in the Department of English, Philosophy, & Modern Languages includes responsibilities for teaching undergraduate courses in literature, other English majors classes, and general education courses, especially freshman composition. The workload for this position will be 21 credits for the year, with one course reassigned time for professional development. Other expected duties include advising students; service on departmental, college, and/or university committees; contributions to the department’s ongoing assessment and curricular needs; and an active research, presentation, and publication agenda.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Ph.D. or ABD in English
- Academic background and teaching experience in literature, especially contemporary literature, Transatlantic literature, and literary criticism
- Ability and interest in undergraduate teaching
- Ability to develop and teach sections/courses using onsite, online, hybrid, and Hyflex delivery methods
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Academic background and teaching experience in in grammar and linguistics
- Experience teaching courses in writing, especially freshman composition and research writing
- Background and experience in business and professional writing, including grant writing and the publication process
- Familiarity with D2L or a similar online course management system
- Experience teaching courses using hybrid and Hyflex (multi-modal) delivery methods
- Experience with program assessment
The Successful Candidate Will
The successful candidate is expected to share the University commitment to outcomes assessment, continuous quality improvement and ongoing development of the university.
List of Professional References (3 or more) including contact information
Transcript: unofficial is acceptable (certified copies will be required if offer is extended and accepted)
COLLEGE ADDITIONAL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Teacher Evaluations
The Program: English Philosophy & Modern Languages
The Department: English Philosophy & Modern Languages
ABOUT MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY:
Montana State University Billings is the third largest University in Montana and is located in Montana’s largest city. The University has five colleges, through which it serves a diverse student body and a broad regional community. Our staff and faculty strive to transform the lives of our students by empowering them to succeed in achieving their educational and life goals. To give our students the best possible path to success in achieving their goals, we are committed to closing equity gaps via our recruitment, retention, and completion initiatives. MSUB faculty and students are also active in scholarship and creative endeavors on state-wide, national, and international stages. Our programs are responsive to community needs and partner with local and regional entities to provide clinical, internship and experiential learning opportunities to our students. MSUB is an innovator in teaching strategies and modalities that accommodate students’ individual learning needs and busy lifestyles. Interested individuals can obtain more information about Montana State University Billings at https://www.msubillings.edu .
ABOUT THE COLLEGE:
The College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences comprises eight academic units. Faculty in each unit have distinguished themselves as outstanding teachers and researchers, offering their students cutting edge knowledge of their fields. In the past several years, graduates have been accepted to top medical and professional schools and to major graduate programs. Graduates of our programs excel in their chosen professions and make a profound impact in the region.
This position has supervisory duties? No
Posting Detail Information
Announcement Number F00256P
Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Close Date 01/06/2023
Open until filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Montana State University Billings is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University Billings makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU Billings provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298, 406-657-2278.
MSU Billings Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Billings Website: http://www.msubillings.edu/humres/eeos.htm
Transcript; unofficial is acceptable (5 MB max.)
Letter of Reference 3
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location