Assistant Professor of Art
Montana State University Billings is a preferred employer in the region-WE WANT YOU!
The following are reasons why you should join our team:
- Work-life balance
- Holidays-10 paid holidays per year and General Election Day
- Vacation- 15 days per year (New Employees to 10 years; after 10 years the accrual rate increases)
- Sick Leave – Earned at an accrual rate of .0416125 for each hour in pay status.
- Employee and Dependent Tuition Waiver
- Opportunities to engage in professional development opportunities
- Committed to employee wellness and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Benefits that are robust and affordable
- Visit MUS Benefits to learn more about our benefit package including
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability are incorporated into our benefits.
- Learn more about our retirement benefits at MUS Retirement.
- Opportunities for career growth and a variety of career paths
- Campus vibrancy- coffee shops, FREE attendance to MSUB concerts, athletic events, and lectures, access to recreation center, library, etc.
- Beautiful campus environment that features our MSUB Mile walking path
The MSU Billings Art Department invites application for a tenure track position in ceramics at the rank of Assistant Professor. The preferred candidate will have the qualification to teach courses from beginning through advanced ceramics and address a broad scope of ceramic practices including wheel throwing, hand-building, sculptural ceramics, and glaze calculation. The qualified candidate will also maintain the ceramics studio and equipment including gas and electric kilns. This material intensive curriculum develops skill and intellect through theory, technological research, and creative practice. The faculty member will be expected to serve as a model of professionalism and act as a resource for students within the teaching-learning environment. The position will include student advising and recruitment, departmental and campus committee participation and professional research. Relocation to Billings, Montana is required.
Ceramic Professor duties include a teaching load of 21 credits per year and reassigned time for studio management, equipment maintenance, materials purchasing and budgeting, work-study supervision, and consultation for ceramic studio in new 3D Art Studio building. The successful candidate will be expected to initiate and maintain a program of research and scholarly development consistent with their area of expertise and CBA requirements for tenure and promotion.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Master of Fine Art in Ceramics
- Experience managing a ceramic studio with attention to health and safety standards
- Capable of teaching beginning through advanced ceramics
- Experience with electric and gas kilns and firing procedures
- Thorough knowledge of clays and glazes
- Comprehensive knowledge of ceramics in art history
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with students, faculty, administration and community members
- Active exhibition record
- A demonstrated engagement with critical and theoretical issues in Contemporary Art
- Minimum two years college-level teaching experience
- Ability to teach in a secondary studio area or art history
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References (3 or more) including contact information
- Teaching Philosophy
- Transcript: unofficial is acceptable (certified copies will be required if offer is extended and accepted)
- Artist Statement
- Link to online portfolio of at least 20 images
- Link to online portfolio of at least 20 student images and project descriptions
About the University: Montana State University Billings is the third largest University in Montana and is located in Montana’s largest city. The University has five colleges, through which it serves a diverse student body and a broad regional community. Our staff and faculty strive to transform the lives of our students by empowering them to succeed in achieving their educational and life goals. To give our students the best possible path to success in achieving their goals, we are committed to closing equity gaps via our recruitment, retention, and completion initiatives. MSUB faculty and students are also active in scholarship and creative endeavors on state-wide, national, and international stages. Our programs are responsive to community needs and partner with local and regional entities to provide clinical, internship and experiential learning opportunities to our students. MSUB is an innovator in teaching strategies and modalities that accommodate students’ individual learning needs and busy lifestyles. Interested individuals can obtain more information about Montana State University Billings at https://www.msubillings.edu .
About the ART Department: Art students at MSUB explore their research interests through developing visual language and critical thinking skills. With small class sizes and easy access to studios, students emerge as professionals boasting solo exhibitions and ready to enter creative fields or seek higher degrees. Located in the urban center of Montana, our students grow their professional experience and artistic practice in an engaged learning environment. We aim to develop each artist as an individual in small group settings by integrating critical thinking, advanced technology, and creative space.
The Department of Art is housed in three campus locations. The Liberal Arts Building houses the Northcutt Steele Gallery, the Project Gallery and a majority of studios. The Art Education facilities are located in the College of Education Building. The ceramic and sculpture studios are in the Art Annex located on Poly Drive. For more information on the Art Department: https://www.msubillings.edu/class/art/index.htm ,
About the College: The mission of the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences is to serve the educational needs of the people of Montana through academic programs leading to Baccalaureate Degrees in the liberal arts and social sciences; selected graduate programs leading to a Master’s Degree; General Education courses providing a foundation of liberal education to all students at MSU Billings; selected pre-professional programs and various graduate, continuing education and non-conventional learning opportunities consistent with the mission of the University. Through these learning experiences, the College seeks to provide knowledge and cultivate skills to allow a student to select realistic future directions for study and/or employment. With its inherent diversity, the College is an intellectual and cultural resource for all students, faculty, and staff of the University and for the community and region. The College has Bachelors and Masters degrees that prepare students for research or practice in the field, for further graduate education, or a broad general education.
Interested individuals can obtain more information about the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences at https://www.msubillings.edu/class/index.htm .
Montana State University Billings is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University Billings makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU Billings provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298, 406-657-2278, email@example.com.
MSU Billings Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Billings Website: http://www.msubillings.edu/humres/eeos.htm .
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Transcript; unofficial is acceptable (5 MB max.)
- List of References (3 or more)
- 20 .JPEG examples of Student Work
- 20 .JPEG examples of Work
- Artist Statement
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
Close Date: 01/08/2024
Apply here: https://employment.msubillings.edu/postings/6757