Architectural Specification Writer
Creator. Collaborator. Changemaker. If these words describe you and you’re looking for a workplace culture where you can unleash your imagination and make an impact, look no further.
A&E Design is seeking a specification writer with unlimited creativity and determination to make a difference to join our team of innovators in Billings, Montana. We are over 80 diversely talented professionals committed to client satisfaction, quality design, and improving the world around us. We don’t just provide a service—we develop creative solutions for all design challenges within any given project. In close coordination with our architectural team, project consultants, and owner representatives, your role will be to ensure that project specifications are specifically tailored to drawings and contractual requirements. If you are an energetic leader who loves to solve complex problems and desires to do it alongside the best design staff in the Northwest, we invite you to apply.
Your skill set.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, construction, engineering, or other related field
- Certified Construction Specifier preferred
- Minimum five years of experience writing and editing technical architectural specifications at all phases of the design process
- Proficiency in Deltek/Avitru (MasterSpec & SpecBuilder Cloud) and Microsoft Office suite required
- Revit experience required and AutoCAD experience a plus
- Cost estimating experience is preferred, though a desire to learn this function is essential
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to interpret architectural drawings
- Ability to collaborate with a design team and work independently to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Passion for design and architecture, possessing energy, talent, and a strong attention to detail
A day in the life of a specification writer.
- Prepare specifications for a variety of project types and sizes at various stages of delivery, following CSI specification writing principles and formats
- Research products and assemblies to serve as a resource for staff
- Maintain current knowledge of products, industry reference standards, building systems, envelope components, exterior & interior finishes, and material requirements of all building types
- Maintain current knowledge of probable costs for a wide scope of products and services
- Assist project architects with technical support and drawing review
- Provide technical expertise during design phases, and offer solutions to technical requirements to satisfy specification needs
- Develop and maintain relationships with contractors and vendors, and understand local construction markets
Perks of the work.
You simply won’t find a group of individuals more talented, dedicated, or fun than the movers-and-shakers at A&E Design. We are proud of our dynamic workplace culture and minimal turnover during nearly 50 years since our firm was established. That’s why we’re always looking for new ways to reward our staff for their hard work and loyalty.
Some of the perks of working at A&E Design include:
- Competitive salary package with full benefits
- Annual bonuses
- Generous paid personal leave
- 401K and Roth with profit sharing
- Group health, dental, vision, and disability insurance cost shared at 75%/25%
- $50,000 of group life insurance
- Basic long-term care insurance
- Health savings account
- Employee wellness program
- Opportunities for advancement
- A kickass culture with frequent staff excursions and events, like an annual trip to Chico Hot Springs, happy hours, and holiday parties
A&E Design is an integrated design firm with four offices in Montana in Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, and Kalispell. We are a passionate, energetic team devoted to the architecture and design industries as well as the communities we serve. Our philosophy and holistic process challenges convention, blending architecture, interior design, construction administration, historic preservation, and graphic design into a comprehensive package for a wide range of project types.
This unique approach has earned us some prestigious recognition. As one of the fastest-growing firms in the AEC industry, A&E Design has won five Hot Firm Awards and three consecutive Best Firm to Work For Awards from Zweig Group. We continue to heat up the competition by adding top-tier designers of all disciplines and creating truly impactful experiences. Join our team—we can’t wait to see what we create together in 2023, and beyond.
X marks the spot.
They don’t call Montana the “Treasure State” for nothing. Under the big sky is a veritable trove of breathtaking views, historical landmarks, and outdoor activities. Each A&E Design location offers staff easy access to nearby mountain ranges for skiing and hiking, battlefields and sites from the travels of Lewis and Clark, dinosaur digs, rivers and waterfalls, and so much more. There is truly something for everyone in the last best place. If you don’t have the map to find what you’re looking for, just ask a friendly local to point you in the right direction.